The title of a car is an important legal document that establishes the vehicle’s proof of ownership. Whether you’re planning to sell or buy a used car, you’re going to have to deal with a title transfer — which includes the associated DMV fees, paperwork and some very specific information.
To learn more about title transfers in Pennsylvania, read on.
Transferring a Car Title in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has similar documentation requirements to other states. However, there are some exceptions, which is why it’s necessary to review the state’s specific requirements before buying or selling a car there.
Here's What You'll Need to Successfully Transfer a Car Title in Pennsylvania
- Both parties (buyer and seller) must have the proper identification (usually a driver’s license, but a current US passport or state issued ID works as well)
- The vehicle title
- Proof of automobile insurance
- Application for Certificate of Title (Form MV-1)
- The vehicle’s exact mileage
Car Selling Fees in Pennsylvania
Transferring the title of a car also comes with a few associated costs for both buyers and sellers. These costs will mainly be incurred by the buyer as a part of the total costs of purchasing a vehicle. They include the following:
- Sales tax: The car sales tax rate in Pennsylvania is currently 6%. However, there may be an additional fee on the local level, which is usually an extra 1-2%.
- Title fee: The title transfer fee is a one-time payment of $58. If there’s a lien on the car, it’ll cost $86.
- Registration fees: A regular one-year passenger vehicle registration fee is $38.
- Other DMV fees: There are other additional fees to transfer a license plate and renew your registration. There will also be a transaction fee that will be added to the total costs.
Car Title Transfer FAQs
Can a Car Seller Pay Sales Tax and Title Transfer Fees?
A vehicle seller may choose to pay any of the associated sales tax or DMV fees associated with the purchase if the buyer is a close friend or relative; however, these costs are the responsibility of the buyer.
How Can I Get a Title Replacement in PA?
If needed, you can replace a lost Pennsylvania title by completing the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title By Owner and mailing it in to:
PA Department of Transportation
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 68593
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8593
You’ll also need to mail in a check or money order for $58 along with the application.
Do I Need to Remove My License Plates When Selling a Car in PA?
Yes — and you can either transfer your plate to another vehicle that you own or turn it in to PennDOT if you no longer need it.
We make selling your car in Pennsylvania hassle-free. Learn more about selling your car with Motobyo today!